Winterizing Your Home ~ Preparing Your Home For Winter
10 Tips to Winterize Your Home:
1) Give Your Heating System a Tune-Up: Keeping your furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted will reduce energy use, saving up to 5 percent of heating costs.
2) Change Furnace Filters: Regularly changing the filters in your central air and heating system can significantly improve its efficiency and longevity.
3) Run Ceiling Fans in Reverse: Have your ceiling fans move in a clockwise direction so they push hot air along the ceiling towards the floor.
4) Turn Down Your Water Heater: Conventional water heaters are typically set at 140 degrees Fahrenheit, but most households only need a setting of 120 degrees to be comfortable.
5) Dodge The Draft: Draft guards can help save heat from escaping under the door.
6) Weatherstrip Tape: Drafts and air leaks increase your heating costs, so make sure your windows and doors are sealed tight with weatherstripping.
7) Install a programmable thermostat: Save money by keeping the temp down when you’re not at home
8) Mind The Thermostat: Set your thermostat to a minimum of 55 degrees.
9) Get Your Chimney Cleaned: In addition to increasing the heating efficiency of your fireplace, an annual cleaning also helps to ensure your safety during the winter months.
10) Prepare an Emergency Kit: Candles, flash lights, lantern, extra batteries, non-perishable food, water, fire wood, matches, lighter, blankets, and first aid kit.